- The competition is open for all ACC schools for participation. It is aimed at students from Years 9 – 11, particularly those who study food at school in Food Technology / Hospitality.
- Each school may register one team of four students that will be working together on a single bench.
- The ACC entry form must be completed using the online link below:
- Each school team will produce four plates of a main course item using TWO fresh whole chickens which will be provided by Holmesglen. All other ingredients shall be supplied by the school.
- All tools and equipment will be made available for teams to produce their finished products.
- The event will commence at 9:00am and conclude at approximately 1:00pm.
- All competition work, food and dishes, must comply with current health regulations. You are advised to bring your perishable ingredients in a cooler and any small equipment in a tub for safe and easy transportation and removal.
- No ACC staff members will be allowed into the kitchen areas. The Zest Restaurant will be available for staff for the duration of the event.
- All electrical equipment brought into the competition must be tagged by a certified electrician. Non complying equipment will not be permitted.
- Time allocation:
15 minutes setting up
90 minutes to prepare and cook.
15 minutes cleaning up…………………..Total: 2 Hours
Special Points to Note:
- Equipment supplied: 4 Burner stove, work bench, sink and cleaning products.
- Plates can be supplied by the school if specific shapes, colour or sizes are required. Various types of plates are also available to use from the Holmesglen kitchens.
- All perishable foods must be transported in a chilled container (esky).
- No pre-preparation allowed, except clean washed vegetables and fruit.
- Marks are allocated for the preparation of food items, pre prepared items cannot exceed 10% of your dish. Pre-prepared items such as pastries, doughs, sauces, pasta are not to be used.
- Basic stocks can be brought to competition.
- Jus and sauces must be prepared during competition.
A panel of Hospitality staff from Holmesglen Insitute will judge the merits of each school’s products. A criteria sheet will used to assess each school’s products and to provide feedback to students. The judges have the right to inspect, cut, open, test and taste all entries.
- Practice: Methods, techniques, level of difficulty 20%
- Preparation: Workflow, workplace org., finishing too early or late 25%
- Presentation: Working in a clean, safe manner. Personal hygiene 25%
- Taste: Clean, contemporary presentation. Tasting 30%
An ACC banner will be presented to the winning team, along with individual pennants for the four team members. All competitors will receive a certificate of participation.
All competitors must comply with the following –
- All participants are to wear their school uniform, along with appropriate attire for cookings.
- Footwear – normal school shoes to be worn
Hair – covered, in hairnet, if necessary.